Saturday, July 19, 2008

Notes from The Mikado and Other Busyness


Harper is finishing up a run in The Mikado this weekend. Here's a small clip from opening night. She's a Townsperson. Harper loves to be at the theater. Last week, when Patrick was in his show, Harper went early every night to usher. Tonight was really hot and, as you can see, the kids wear some pretty heavy costumes, but the girl came home happy and cheerful as always after a night on stage. And the play was excellent.  Good actors, projecting and singing with lots of gusto and talent.  And the set and costumes were beautiful, thanks to some parent volunteers who have a lot of talent.




Sadly, Peter and Maria left today. Peter and Maria fall under the category of "other wackos". They are family for us. It's funny how some people you only see a couple times a year, but then when you do get to spend a chunk of time with them, you end up missing them all the more. It's like the time together reminds you how much you love having them around. The days that I worked last week and came home to find them here, Maria cooking dinner and Peter calling family meetings or performing his "signature move", I felt like a puppy who is happy to see her companion people at the end of a work day. I wagged my tail. I wished we lived closer so we could see each other more regularly. In other good-company news, my mom and Wayne came back up this weekend for the show. They saw both kids' shows twice each and drove 200 mile each way to see them. What dedicated grandparents! And Grammie Robin came this weekend, too. So we were lucky.

On Thursday evening Pat's birth family, including some cousins he had never met before, came over for an early hot dog supper. Patrick was pretty pleased to have some boy cousins to run around with for a change. The baby (in big Pat's lap) is Pat's brother Matthew, who is 2 months old and doing great. The little girl is Patrick's sister, Kylie, who looks just like Manny did when he was little. It was nice to see everyone, albeit a tad bit hectic since Harper's opening night was also on Thursday.



So, after Peter and Maria left this morning (Neil was gone to yet another organized cycling event, the Mt. Ascutney Hill Climb), I decided it would be a good idea to get my long run in, since tomorrow I have an engagement at 11:00 am, meaning I'd have to get up early on a Sunday, run for a long time, and hurry home to get ready for the bridal shower. This turned out to be a really bad idea. Remember hearing about the Chicago Marathon last October? They actually called it off, but too late into it and it was a disaster. That day in Chicago reached a high of 88 degrees with 86% humidity; not good for running. Today, here, the humidity was about 90% and it was 83 degrees. But Chicago is flat, and I run a very hilly route, so even though I ran 10 miles less than a marathon today, when you factor in the hills, I feel like I ran the Chicago Marathon. I ended up doing a lot of walking, as I'm sure people did in Chicago that day, and my 17 miles ended up being 16.5. I bring my phone with me on long runs and I almost called for a ride a couple of times, but I didn't want to wimp out. I had to take a nap before going to sell refreshments at Harper's play. And I haven't felt much like eating, which is really f-ed up for me because I'm a big eater. But it's done and I feel fine now and tomorrow I can sleep in!

No comments:

Marathoning--A Record of My Times

  • NEW HAMPSHIRE MARATHON, October 3, 2015. 4 hrs. 56 minutes, 8 seconds.
  • MONTREAL "ROCK 'N' ROLL MARATHON, September 22, 2013. 4 hrs. 20 minutes, 41 seconds.
  • VERMONT CITY MARATHON, May 2012. 4 hrs. 20 minutes, 8 seconds.
  • MOUNT DESERT ISLAND MARATHON (Maine), October 2011, 4 hrs. 45 minutes, 14 seconds
  • SUGARLOAF MARATHON (Maine), May 2010. 4 hrs. 18 minutes, 35 seconds
  • MONTREAL MARATHON, September 2008. 4 hrs. 19 minutes, 33 seconds
  • VERMONT CITY MARATHON, May 2008. 4 hrs. 11 minutes, 58 seconds
  • VERMONT CITY MARATHON, May 2007. 4 hrs. 19 minutes, 42 seconds
  • MONTREAL MARATHON, September 2006. 4hrs, 30 minutes, 2 seconds

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed