Thursday, November 27, 2008

Vieques

In front of a Peace Mural.



This is an abandoned bunker for ammunition storage. There are many of them on the western end of the island.






(Ignore the date stamps on my pictures--they are mistakes I don't know how to fix.)


I've just returned from 6 days on the island of Vieques with two dear friends. Vieques is a magical, incredibly beautiful place with a complicated history. Shamefully, the U.S. Navy occupied much of the island for more than 60 years, displacing thousands of people and exposing thousands more to a plethora of carcinogens. The Navy is now mostly gone and, ironically, much of the natural beauty of the place has therefore been preserved and protected from the mass developments that have wreaked havoc on many Carribean islands.


Thanks to a home exchange, we stayed in a great house just outside the major town of Isabel II. Feral chickens, horses and dogs wandered the narrow, steep streets and the coqui sung us to sleep at night. Our house sat atop a hill and we had views of the ocean and enjoyed constant breezes. The beaches we discovered were breathtaking. On our first day we just splashed around in the ocean giggling and whooping like maniacs because we were overwhelmed by the beauty that surrounded us.


As an indication of how relaxed I felt on this vacation, at one point while I was standing up from my beach chair, I actually drooled! And I'm not a drooler! Truly, I can not remember ever feeling so completely relaxed. It was quite a blessing.

We made some stupid videos of ourselves. In fact, much of the delight of this vacation was the complete, silly abandon in which we indulged. Really, I think there is nothing more fun than acting really stupid and laughing at your self. I particularly like this two part series where Carolyn and I are preparing to visit the bioluminscent bay.
Incedentally, I was stung by a jellyfish in the biobay. I had been in the water and was splashing around, digging the light my body created and the drips that turn into stars when I raised up my arm or leg, when I felt a stinging on one ankle and then the other. I quickly swam for my kayak as I just wanted to get out of the water; it was dark and there was something in there that wanted to get me! It hurt a bit, but I did not, as our guide suggested, pee on myself. It would have to hurt a lot more to suffer the humiliation of peeing on myself in front of 10 or so strangers. One other man in our group was stung and my friends said he freaked out way more than I did, so I'm proud that I maintained my composure. During our paddle back, Carolyn had a fish jump into her boat (a glowing fish--it's all a-glow in the bay) which made her yell, "fish in the boat, fish in the boat!" And we all got to see fish swimming and jumping and creating light and sparkles in the dark of night. It was mind blowing. The next day, and still now, I feel as though it were a dream, and this sensation is only enhanced by my jellyfish sting. I hope someday to bring the kids to the bio bay, though I may not encourage them to swim, at least without good, fair warning about the possibility of a sting.


Here CB, and I give a tour of our neighborhood.
On the ferry to Vieques.

4 comments:

Cindy said...

That first picture of you is the cutest thing I EVER have seen. You are even cuter than your kids. There, I said it.

Paul said...

I didn't get to see the bio bay in PR when Rebecca and I visited a few years ago because of the damn kids having to go to bed early but another time we were sailing with some friends in the bahamas and the lovely children all passed out early enough for the four of us, me, Rebecca, Maria and Brian to drink lots of beer on the deck and then go for a naked swim. It's then that we discovered the bioluminescence in the waters and it was way cool. I've always thought that stars dripped off of my swanson and there it was for everyone to see - well at least it was there for Rebecca, Maria and Brian to see.

Anonymous said...

did you guys take mushrooms with you? Most places I've been required some level of enhancement for that whole watch yourself dripping/lightchanging/fish in boat, fish in boat thing.

Anonymous said...

I keep coming back to this one just to see that beautiful picture of you in your hat (the first one) I agree with your mother, it is too cute. Beautiful too.

Marathoning--A Record of My Times

  • NEW HAMPSHIRE MARATHON, October 3, 2015. 4 hrs. 56 minutes, 8 seconds.
  • MONTREAL "ROCK 'N' ROLL MARATHON, September 22, 2013. 4 hrs. 20 minutes, 41 seconds.
  • VERMONT CITY MARATHON, May 2012. 4 hrs. 20 minutes, 8 seconds.
  • MOUNT DESERT ISLAND MARATHON (Maine), October 2011, 4 hrs. 45 minutes, 14 seconds
  • SUGARLOAF MARATHON (Maine), May 2010. 4 hrs. 18 minutes, 35 seconds
  • MONTREAL MARATHON, September 2008. 4 hrs. 19 minutes, 33 seconds
  • VERMONT CITY MARATHON, May 2008. 4 hrs. 11 minutes, 58 seconds
  • VERMONT CITY MARATHON, May 2007. 4 hrs. 19 minutes, 42 seconds
  • MONTREAL MARATHON, September 2006. 4hrs, 30 minutes, 2 seconds

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed