Friday, September 4, 2009

Poem (there is no touch)

This poem gets stuck in my diaphragm.

This Song

by Hayden Carruth

In an afternoon bright with
September, or in an old dissension
bright with fear, I went wandering where
there was purity in white lady's tresses,
hiddenness in peeping bluebottle gentians,
and where many species of goldenrod
and asters made funeral for the lost
summer world, and ferns, taken by frost,
made russet the fields and turned
the waysides yellow and brown.

It struck me that I had wandered all my years
like this, half a century, searching
for the touch that heals, but there is
no touch; searching everywhere for the
look that say I know, but there is

no look. This is Vermont, the land
hidden from violent times, far from the center
of life, they say. I walk by the gray brook,
around the knoll, through the pines. Winter
is coming. Searching, searching with my hand,

I feel September's little knives, and with my eyes
I see bright spattered leaves in the matted
grass. I hear this song, if it be a song: these
insistent little bright fearful hesitant
murmurs from high in the old pine trees.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

ugh. Love. You know what's funny, the book where I found my Wendell Berry Poem which inspired your Hayden Carruth poem is an anthology edited by Hayden Carruth. Symbiosis.

Marathoning--A Record of My Times

  • NEW HAMPSHIRE MARATHON, October 3, 2015. 4 hrs. 56 minutes, 8 seconds.
  • MONTREAL "ROCK 'N' ROLL MARATHON, September 22, 2013. 4 hrs. 20 minutes, 41 seconds.
  • VERMONT CITY MARATHON, May 2012. 4 hrs. 20 minutes, 8 seconds.
  • MOUNT DESERT ISLAND MARATHON (Maine), October 2011, 4 hrs. 45 minutes, 14 seconds
  • SUGARLOAF MARATHON (Maine), May 2010. 4 hrs. 18 minutes, 35 seconds
  • MONTREAL MARATHON, September 2008. 4 hrs. 19 minutes, 33 seconds
  • VERMONT CITY MARATHON, May 2008. 4 hrs. 11 minutes, 58 seconds
  • VERMONT CITY MARATHON, May 2007. 4 hrs. 19 minutes, 42 seconds
  • MONTREAL MARATHON, September 2006. 4hrs, 30 minutes, 2 seconds

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed