Friday, January 8, 2010

An Old Poem



Dear friends of ours just visited for a ski vacation with their young children, which reminded me of this poem I wrote two years ago.  I like it, and it helps me remember that day.


Carving the Turns


That January day
I skied only to be with you
savoring the last few years of your girlhood.
You hushed me on the lift
when I sang
but laughed when
I teased that I'd ask those
boys in the snack bar
for one of their fries.


I tried my best to keep up with you,
babying my old, runner's knees
and admiring your smooth form as you sailed
down the mountain.


Then
just before the last run of the day
we noticed perfectly shaped 
delicate snowflakes
fall on our mittens 
and wondered how it could be true
that no two are alike.


You told me to use my whole
body when I carved my turns
and headed for Willoughby, a high, steep trail.
Taking your lead
I moved from my head to my hips
and felt it;
the groove
one with the slope
thighs burning
flowing
swish
swish
I was eleven
you thirty-six
and I stopped to wait for you.
I asked, "which way?"
You grinned.
"Down!"
You were eleven
I was thirty-six
the afternoon grew dark
we had Willoughby 
all to ourselves
floating in a liminal space
at the edge of change and possibility
our Kingdom lay before us.


January 08

2 comments:

Momma said...

It's so evocative. You amaze me, as does she(she).

Dad said...

Just as beautiful as a year ago! The poem has aged well, too.

Marathoning--A Record of My Times

  • NEW HAMPSHIRE MARATHON, October 3, 2015. 4 hrs. 56 minutes, 8 seconds.
  • MONTREAL "ROCK 'N' ROLL MARATHON, September 22, 2013. 4 hrs. 20 minutes, 41 seconds.
  • VERMONT CITY MARATHON, May 2012. 4 hrs. 20 minutes, 8 seconds.
  • MOUNT DESERT ISLAND MARATHON (Maine), October 2011, 4 hrs. 45 minutes, 14 seconds
  • SUGARLOAF MARATHON (Maine), May 2010. 4 hrs. 18 minutes, 35 seconds
  • MONTREAL MARATHON, September 2008. 4 hrs. 19 minutes, 33 seconds
  • VERMONT CITY MARATHON, May 2008. 4 hrs. 11 minutes, 58 seconds
  • VERMONT CITY MARATHON, May 2007. 4 hrs. 19 minutes, 42 seconds
  • MONTREAL MARATHON, September 2006. 4hrs, 30 minutes, 2 seconds

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed