Wednesday, February 4, 2009

CM: Jersey Girl, Navy Veteran, My Chum

Last night my dear old friend and comrade, Christine called me. We haven't talked for a little while and she had a question for me. She also chastised me for not blogging. She apparently loves this blog. She's my lurker! Since I haven't had much to say lately (or at least not much to say here) I figured I could say a few words about Christine; a good use of words, time and space, really.

Christine and I started working together almost 10 years ago. We literally job shared for a couple years and then continued to work together for several more. For a while, I was even her Boss! We don't work together anymore and we live just far enough apart (about 45 minutes) that we don't see each other as often as we'd like. We kind of "grew up" together in our part of the battered women's movement. We learned and raged together, argued and cried together. I love CM dearly. And she has the nicest kids and one of the sweetest husbands you'd ever want to meet. I miss Katie and Pat (yep, she has a Patrick, too)! While CM and I get together every few months, I rarely get to see the kids, who are kind, thoughtful, interesting people.

Now I'll post this and see how long it takes for CM to call and scold me for posting her picture on the internet! Hey, no last names and this picture is 2.5 years old--you don't even look like this anymore, what with your "incredible shrinking woman" gig. But yer still cute!

5 comments:

CB said...

That was a funny night! Memories...

Anonymous said...

Man, that is one awful picture! I had rolls everywhere.
My dear Zoe,
Only for you will I momentarily come out of "lurking" status. I really wish you hadn't put my picture on the internet, but since you mentioned my weight loss . . . I will forgive you. I do wish we lived closer. I miss all of my Umbrella buddies so much. Give everyone a hug and kiss for me. Our families need to get together soon.
Love,
Christine

Anonymous said...

What a sweet tribute to Christine!

As a former Umbrella staff member myself, and presently, as one of Christine's colleagues, I always enjoy listening to her former days in the Queendom - they are stories filled with love and admiration for the women she worked with in the battered women's movement. You gals rocked, and from all accounts, you still rock!! RD

Zoe said...

And Rachel, it is all kind of ironic since YOU were always one of my mentors and one of the women I most admired in the movement. I love the layered connections!

Anonymous said...

Oh how lovely to read about Christine (you) and see her (your) picture. I also enjoyed knowing you and wished always that I had more time to know you better, your heart and intent just blossoms out of you.

Regarding this weight thing by way of my Kali -- all his childhood outsiders thought he should be on ridalin or something for what they just KNEW was ADHD. My take was always this, get our cultural expectations out of the way, put him in many other places where our cultural norms are not their norms and in many of those places he would be a Shaman based on the strengths that many saw as limitations. So, to you Christine, as with my shaman son, I always saw a beautiful face, a beautiful body that moved gracefully and with a lightness of being. No matter what this weight loss is, my guess is you are neither more nor less beautiful. You just are beautiful.. It's part of who you are.

Marathoning--A Record of My Times

  • NEW HAMPSHIRE MARATHON, October 3, 2015. 4 hrs. 56 minutes, 8 seconds.
  • MONTREAL "ROCK 'N' ROLL MARATHON, September 22, 2013. 4 hrs. 20 minutes, 41 seconds.
  • VERMONT CITY MARATHON, May 2012. 4 hrs. 20 minutes, 8 seconds.
  • MOUNT DESERT ISLAND MARATHON (Maine), October 2011, 4 hrs. 45 minutes, 14 seconds
  • SUGARLOAF MARATHON (Maine), May 2010. 4 hrs. 18 minutes, 35 seconds
  • MONTREAL MARATHON, September 2008. 4 hrs. 19 minutes, 33 seconds
  • VERMONT CITY MARATHON, May 2008. 4 hrs. 11 minutes, 58 seconds
  • VERMONT CITY MARATHON, May 2007. 4 hrs. 19 minutes, 42 seconds
  • MONTREAL MARATHON, September 2006. 4hrs, 30 minutes, 2 seconds

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed