Sunday, April 19, 2009

Neil Turns 40 And Gets a Surprise


For Neil's 40th birthday I surprised him by bringing his best friend, Ken, to spend a long weekend with us in Montreal. Ken lives in Seattle and they hadn't seen each other in 4-5 years. Neil was very surprised and pleased. The two friends went for lots of walks together having "man time" and I got to go out on a couple dates with two handsome fellas while Dad babysat. It was a great weekend. Now it's time to clean up and go home.

Here are a sampling of pics.
This is Ken on the sidewalk in front of the condo right before we went in and surprised Neil. The kids went to the airport with me and I was a nervous wreck. When we met Ken coming out of customs I told him I was nervous and that Neil didn't actually like surprises. He said, "But it's me" with so much confidence that I immediately relaxed and knew right then the surprise would be a success.

Here is Neil spotting his present as the present walked through the door. He was giggling and saying things like "what the fuck?" and "where did you come from?" for several minutes.Eventually, Neil got up and hugged his friend.
That first night (Thursday), the three of us went to a brew pub a short walk away. It was fun watching the guys smile so much.
Here's a freezer pick from our last night together, Neil's actual 40th. We had dinner at the Spanish Social Club and pie for dessert back at the apartment.

So keeping a secret from my husband for a couple months worked out in the end. I'm very proud that I thought of such a great birthday present for Neil. It was very special for him to spend his birthday with Ken and a delight to see the two of them so happy.

4 comments:

Auntie/Sally said...

The happiness in Neil's face is SO apparent it makes me smile to see it. Zoe, it was a wonderful present to give and one of the many, many reasons you are so special is that you think of things like that. ILY

Auntie/Sally said...

That thing Neil does when he leans forward and hangs his hands down in front of his legs is one of his classic "This is totally cool and makes me happy" postures. I realize in re-looking at the picture that the whole body presentation makes his smile all the more happy.

Dad/David said...

And it was one hell of a [extended] party!

Zoe said...

And I keep coming back to look at these pictures and these wonderful friends. It makes me so happy.

Marathoning--A Record of My Times

  • NEW HAMPSHIRE MARATHON, October 3, 2015. 4 hrs. 56 minutes, 8 seconds.
  • MONTREAL "ROCK 'N' ROLL MARATHON, September 22, 2013. 4 hrs. 20 minutes, 41 seconds.
  • VERMONT CITY MARATHON, May 2012. 4 hrs. 20 minutes, 8 seconds.
  • MOUNT DESERT ISLAND MARATHON (Maine), October 2011, 4 hrs. 45 minutes, 14 seconds
  • SUGARLOAF MARATHON (Maine), May 2010. 4 hrs. 18 minutes, 35 seconds
  • MONTREAL MARATHON, September 2008. 4 hrs. 19 minutes, 33 seconds
  • VERMONT CITY MARATHON, May 2008. 4 hrs. 11 minutes, 58 seconds
  • VERMONT CITY MARATHON, May 2007. 4 hrs. 19 minutes, 42 seconds
  • MONTREAL MARATHON, September 2006. 4hrs, 30 minutes, 2 seconds

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed