Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Parfait

How to write succinctly and accurately about my first few days of language study here in Montreal? Here's a quick effort without editing.

I really wanted to take a French Immersion class, but as time drew near, I wished I had just taken a vacation. I needed a vacation. Good news is, this feels like a vacation, so, yay! I get to have it both ways. Story of my (pretty dang nice) life, for the most part. By which I simply mean, I can't complain.

I'm really enjoying the rhythm of the city and the rhythm of my days here. Funny, I used to come to Montreal and regret that I couldn't stay up late and party in the streets (as I have done just once or twice with much pleasure) but this week I've loved settling in just as the streets start to hump and waking up in the morning as almost everyone else is still tucked away and all is quiet. And witnessing the gradual progression of energy and excitement throughout the day. It's a lovely rhythm and I feel like Pat and I are some kind of small harmony to the larger song; doing our own thing, but flitting in and out of the bigger picture. Quite a pleasure (and new experience) to feel so truly a part of city life.

I love routine and keeping busy and our days have accomodated these needs. I get up first, make and drink coffee, then Manny rolls out of bed and gets his cereal and we leave at 8:00 for day camp about a mile north of here, he on his scooter, me on my bike. He LOVES riding that scooter and cruises along pretty quickly. After depositing him at day camp (on Ave du Parc in the Mile End neighborhood), I head downtown with, seriously, 2 million other bike commuters! It is quick and easy to cruise down the bike lane on St. Urbain. One must be just as aware of the other bikes as the cars because there are just so many of them! I am very cautious, in part because I am not used to city riding and because of my bike accident 2 years ago. So when the light turns green, I let the masses of pedalers pass me and gently ease on down the road. I've got nothing to prove and plenty of time.

I arrive at the UQAM on St. Catherine (corner of Hotel de Ville) in time to sit in a little park and eat my yogurt before class at 9:00. Class is excellent. Perhaps a tad easy, but a relief that I'm not getting frusterated or overwhelmed. And I feel like I'm learning a lot and gaining much confidence. We speak, read and write in a completely intertwined way. There are nine students and one teacher, Guy, who is not bad to look at and very personable. And a really good, encouraging and enthusiastic teacher. Besides the U.S., other students in my class are from Canada, Korea, Italy, Mexico and Mongolia. So there is a nice diversity, too. And did I mention that Guy is pretty easy on the eyes? (Funny aside, if I had a picture of him to post, a lot of you would say he looks like Neil minus the bike racing tee-shirts!).

So I am in class until noon, at which time I have an hour for lunch. I bring a picnic and take a short walk to Place des Arts where I can sit and dine by the fountain or on the steps with about a million other lunch time revelers. Not too shabby.

The afternoon session is only 2 hours and is focused on conversation or guided tours (in French). Then I hop on my bike and head back up to Mile End et je rencontre mon fils. Then Patrick and I head home on scooter and bike, freshen up and hit the streets for a walk or groceries or what-have-you. We ate out tonight after a trip to the big salvation army store on the other side of town, but otherwise, we've eaten in and done puzzles, and just hung out. Tonight's tapas at Sala Rosa were outstanding. I especially loved the fried eggplant with cheese.

Then home for quiet time and tomorrow's lunch prep. Right now Pat is reading and I am writing and soon our day will end. I'll read my book and listen to the street sounds, which will pick up in the next few hours.

I could live here. I'm lucky to have a home here and no doubt my peace and relaxation this week owes much to that crucial fact. An adventure with all the comforts of home; parfait!

5 comments:

Lynne Favreau said...

Sounds heavenly, relaxing and fulfilling is a great combo. It is calming just reading your account!

Maria said...

Lovely entry Zoe. I could feel and see everything. You and your urbane little buddy seem to be living the life. BTW, is Pat's scotter motorized or one of those push ones?

Mom said...

This is such a gift, love learning so much about your adventure!

Dad said...

Love the adventurous yet relaxed spirit (and you 2)!

Zoe said...

Maria: Muscles not motors! He rocks it. Gets pretty tired, eats a lot of carbs and is ready to go again.
Thanks everyone. We may not be so happy and relaxed on the 5 hour drive to Camp tomorrow night, depending on traffic out of the city, but once we get to Old Home Weekend we will continue our happy relaxation in the circle of our dear ones!
Oh no, pretend France is turning me into a total sap!

Marathoning--A Record of My Times

  • NEW HAMPSHIRE MARATHON, October 3, 2015. 4 hrs. 56 minutes, 8 seconds.
  • MONTREAL "ROCK 'N' ROLL MARATHON, September 22, 2013. 4 hrs. 20 minutes, 41 seconds.
  • VERMONT CITY MARATHON, May 2012. 4 hrs. 20 minutes, 8 seconds.
  • MOUNT DESERT ISLAND MARATHON (Maine), October 2011, 4 hrs. 45 minutes, 14 seconds
  • SUGARLOAF MARATHON (Maine), May 2010. 4 hrs. 18 minutes, 35 seconds
  • MONTREAL MARATHON, September 2008. 4 hrs. 19 minutes, 33 seconds
  • VERMONT CITY MARATHON, May 2008. 4 hrs. 11 minutes, 58 seconds
  • VERMONT CITY MARATHON, May 2007. 4 hrs. 19 minutes, 42 seconds
  • MONTREAL MARATHON, September 2006. 4hrs, 30 minutes, 2 seconds

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed