Monday, July 27, 2009

Placement Test

I think I failed my placement test this morning. I am taking a 3 week French Language class in Montreal and today is the first day. All we did so far was have a brief orientation and take a written and oral placement test. It was really quick for me because, well, I just don't know much French. The written part was multiple choice and you were supposed to stop when you couldn't answer any more questions and not try to guess. So that didn't take too long. Then I sat down with a nice lady who tried to have a conversation with me in french. That didn't take too long either. So I got out early. Actual classes don't start until tomorrow, but I do go back at 1:30 today for 45 minutes to learn about the activities that are supplements to the classes for the next 3 weeks.

Since I was so quick with my testing, I rode my bike back to the apartment, went for a run, bought a falafel and now I'm in the Parc des Ameriques where there is free wireless, gorgeous sunshine and a lovely breeze.

I'm really happy to be here now that I know how to (a) get Patrick to his daycamp (he rode the scooter this morning and was so excited about the whole thing. I can't wait to see him at 4:00 and hear about his day. I'm a little nervous for him and so proud of his bravery in doing something like this), (b) get myself to the University and (c) ride a bike around the city. I was kind of afraid of doing that, but so far so good! It's easier than I thought it would be and a great way to get around quickly. There are lots of streets with bike lanes.

And I think my course is going to be really excellent. The orientation and testing this morning had a very well-organized and professional feel to it and there are lots of people to answer questions. The campus is pretty huge, but our program is only in 2 buildings, so now that I know where those are, I'm feeling confident and ready to learn!

4 comments:

Neil Favreau said...

I'm proud of you and Patrick! It sounds like a good start. Funny little synopsis of your first day. Love you, miss you.

Dad said...

I don't think you can "fail" a placement test - you can just get placed at a very introductory level, which from what you say is probably correct. I'm tremendously impressed with your spirit of adventure! and ever so slightly nostalgic for my own. Love and Love to you and Pat!

Zoe said...

I know you can't "fail" a placement test. That was a joke, silly!
Pat is a madman on his scooter.

Maria said...

All sounds pretty fun and exciting to me. Go after that French girl!

Marathoning--A Record of My Times

  • NEW HAMPSHIRE MARATHON, October 3, 2015. 4 hrs. 56 minutes, 8 seconds.
  • MONTREAL "ROCK 'N' ROLL MARATHON, September 22, 2013. 4 hrs. 20 minutes, 41 seconds.
  • VERMONT CITY MARATHON, May 2012. 4 hrs. 20 minutes, 8 seconds.
  • MOUNT DESERT ISLAND MARATHON (Maine), October 2011, 4 hrs. 45 minutes, 14 seconds
  • SUGARLOAF MARATHON (Maine), May 2010. 4 hrs. 18 minutes, 35 seconds
  • MONTREAL MARATHON, September 2008. 4 hrs. 19 minutes, 33 seconds
  • VERMONT CITY MARATHON, May 2008. 4 hrs. 11 minutes, 58 seconds
  • VERMONT CITY MARATHON, May 2007. 4 hrs. 19 minutes, 42 seconds
  • MONTREAL MARATHON, September 2006. 4hrs, 30 minutes, 2 seconds

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed