Thursday, August 28, 2008

Garmin, RIP

Neil and my parents gave me this Garmin Forerunner 205 for my 35th birthday. It's a GPS that tells you how fast and how far you've run, among other things. It was a fabulous gift that I've enjoyed almost daily ever since. We had two and half great years together. Yesterday, I accidently left it on my car. I'll spare you all the gory details of what happened when I drove away. I'm appalled with my carelessness and bummed that I'm out a pretty sweet, high tech gadget. But I can't help but feel serene about the whole thing. She served me well and helped me train for 4 marathons. I have 2.5 weeks left until my next marathon and I know the distances of all the training runs I have left. It will be interesting to run this marathon without the instant feedback of my Garmin. My dear Michelle offered to lend me her Garmin for the event, but I think I might just do it the old fashioned way and see what happens. And I had already decided that after this 'thon, I'm taking a long break from such intense training. I think training for two marathons in such a short time and with this last round being so intense, has kind of taken the joy out it for me and it's become a chore. I'm looking forward to the big day, but I'm also looking forward to riding my bike and running on the trails with friends. And doing more hiking this Fall. And just not being so regimented. I need a break. So I think what happened yesterday is kind of a kismet. Or maybe I was unconciously purposefully carless (!). This old girl (now represented by the skeleton pictured above) and I have had a lot of amazing times together. We've shared blood, sweat and tears. There's no replacing her. Though the Garmin 405, my lady's descendant, looks pretty sweet and someday I'll be ready to train hard again. 4oth birthday present, anyone?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well, it was always more about your capabilities than the machine's, right? Thank goodness YOU didn't get left on top of the car!

Marathoning--A Record of My Times

  • NEW HAMPSHIRE MARATHON, October 3, 2015. 4 hrs. 56 minutes, 8 seconds.
  • MONTREAL "ROCK 'N' ROLL MARATHON, September 22, 2013. 4 hrs. 20 minutes, 41 seconds.
  • VERMONT CITY MARATHON, May 2012. 4 hrs. 20 minutes, 8 seconds.
  • MOUNT DESERT ISLAND MARATHON (Maine), October 2011, 4 hrs. 45 minutes, 14 seconds
  • SUGARLOAF MARATHON (Maine), May 2010. 4 hrs. 18 minutes, 35 seconds
  • MONTREAL MARATHON, September 2008. 4 hrs. 19 minutes, 33 seconds
  • VERMONT CITY MARATHON, May 2008. 4 hrs. 11 minutes, 58 seconds
  • VERMONT CITY MARATHON, May 2007. 4 hrs. 19 minutes, 42 seconds
  • MONTREAL MARATHON, September 2006. 4hrs, 30 minutes, 2 seconds

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed