Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Betrayed by Rock and Roll

I feel betrayed by rock and roll. I know I'm not the first woman to have this complaint. I like to go to Spearhead shows, G. Love, Greg Brown and Ani DiFranco concerts where the fans are basically hippies and the artists make a point of singing at least some songs about social concerns. Rock n' roll fans, on the other hand, tend to be dirtbags. And I mean that lovingly; I wouldn't mind being a dirtbag. I grew up on the wrong side of the tracks (albeit in a swanky suburb) and I can roll with dirtbags. I've even fantasized about wearing a tube top and drinking canned beer in a trailer. It's all good if you can refrain from gender analysis, also known as the feminist's curse. I also need to remind you that some rock 'n roll is overtly sexist and racist in content (see the Rolling Stones "brown sugar" or the Beatles "run for your life"--and I love the Stones and the Beatles, so I guess I was betrayed a long time ago, right from the outset). The rock 'n roll concert I went to last night was attended by an audience made up primarily of men. Truly, it was about 90 percent men. Maybe this is because women instinctually know that rock n' roll has betrayed us. I don't know for sure the explanation for this huge gender gap, but I would have hated to be a single woman in that crowd, or a lesbian. Not out of fear to my physical being, but because being with a man validated me and lent me credibility; let me in to the club by association. While I don't have male privilege, I have white, heterosexual privilege. When I started asking people around me why the only women on the stage were behind plexiglass, people looked at me like I was wacked, but when they saw the tall, good looking guy I was with, they went back to enjoying the show without challenging me and a sense that things were okay and I couldn't be totally out of line. One person suggested they were behind plexiglass for "artistic reasons". (Does this remind you of anything?) The only woman to whom I posed this question (there were not many of us around, remember) didn't care, just shrugged it off. Which made me cry (don't worry, nobody noticed; I didn't make a scene or anything). Okay, I was overreacting, I know and I think they were behind the plexiglass for reasons having to do with sound and volume, not art or overt sexism. When the last person I asked gave me this plausible explanation, I stopped asking and felt better. But why was I the only one asking?

I know, this all sounds outrageously sensitive. And it is. But let me put it in context: the night before the concert, I co-facilitated a weekly group for men who batter their partners. I've been doing this for about 2 months and I'm still getting my bearings with it. I've led an awfully sheltered existence and never run with men like this, who are overtly sexist, entitled, homophobic and refuse to take responsibility for their actions. And lately I've been reading some research that really questions the effectiveness of groups like this. Some suggest, with good reason, that batterer programs may actually do more harm than good, teaching the men to be better batterers or to use forms of coercive control that will keep them out of trouble but still entrap their partners. Also, since most of us in the battered women's movement agree that the problem of violence against women is cultural and not the problem of individual men, why do we think running psycho-educational groups with individual men is going to create change? So these were the thoughts going through my head after group the other night, which led me to a nocturnal reminder of how very dangerous these men may be to the women in their lives. And how utterly powerless I am to do anything about that fact. It was a terrifying and overwhelming nightmare, from which I awoke with my heart racing.

So, here I am, the next night, at a rock 'n roll concert. The band was great--I loved the music, don't get me wrong. But that's why I felt all the more betrayed. And there was an edge in this crowd of men, an undercurrent of violence that was contagious and made me want to punch the woman who was too much in my space. And the bartender (also a woman) who was rude to me. What was going on here? I missed the hippies. Maybe I really can't roll with dirtbags and that's just a pretty fantasy. But even more, I missed my comrades, my sisters-in-arms. The women who get it and don't think I'm being "too sensitive" when I wonder why the crowd is 90% men and why the only women on the stage are behind plexiglass. They worry about these things, too. My women friends who, like me, have listened to countless stories from our sisters who have been beaten, battered, isolated and terrorized. And who know that these things don't happen in some kind of isolated, individually pathologized way. And who understand the guilt I felt at falling back on my privilege as a married woman when I felt undermined by my lack of gender privilege.

Finally, there was at least one person at that rock 'n roll show who totally understood where I was coming from. Yeah, of course, Neil. He didn't for a second shame me for being too sensitive or emotional. He gave me a hug and made sure I knew I wasn't alone. He gets it and he gets me. He's incredibly cool and smart and thoughtful. And he's always got my back.

Here's a picture of me at the Bootyjuice show last weekend with some of my comrades, high-fiving Carolyn with Misty by my side. I'm very thankful for them. (Bootyjuice is funky, jazzy fusion type music. Lots of hippies in the audience).

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry, how discouraging! Now I understand why you were SO mad at crappy cake.

Zoe said...

Betrayed by rock and roll, betrayed by cake! What's next? I will ALWAYS be mad at crappy cake. Down with Crappy Cake, that's my motto.

Michelle said...

You know I'm feeling you. My jaw hurts from clenching it, and it's from the comments I'm reading from idiot college age men about the Burton snowboard controversy that just make me wonder who they've raped and/or who's in the line of fire. I'm glad you had Neil! Maybe you should come to the Burton protest and be surrounded by righteous babes (and dudes)! And what is crappy cake?

Zoe said...

Crappy Cake is just bad news. It's about the Madison Donation, a fundraiser in Madison, NH that some people in my family find a laugh riot and others of us hate and refuse to attend again. It's a cake auction. And you have to eat cake as well as bid on cakes. And the cake is crappy. But they pretty much force you to eat it.

Can't make it to the Burton protest. But we are a fun bunch of gals to hang out with, aren't we!?

Anonymous said...

Hi Sweetheart, Many years ago, at least 25, we had some really good men -- Peter Ollman was one of them I remember -- who wanted to work with us at Umbrella to figure out how to have a men-to-men group which both batterers and men who supported nonviolence as a masculine choice would attend. They developed a good program, they started the group, the batterers bullied, postured, lied and the nonviolent/masculine choice guys decided they didn't live in the same world as the batterers and they would just 'look out for women'; both groups of men left. Only ones left were our guys who were hopeful/wishful turned discouraged -- and then, no men at all. I don't know the answer to that dilemma, except to say we try everything, the majority of it doesn't work, we feel rage and despair, we turn to the ones we trust, honor and love, we at least never lose sight of them and then we try something else. Every once in awhile some of us (my self for example) try to just let go of the insistance that they can change on their own and let go to the desperation of hope that we will find what is good in them, what is possible, and they will change. For myself, at those times, when I have been desperate (and gone to the trailer, in the tank top, with the beer)I have tried to fight the personal battle -- "he will finally understand through me." And I have fought it until I couldn't win -- which in every case was a long, long hard try at insisting. I don't believe we can ever win the battle with them; I just think we fight it as much, as often, as many ways as we feel able, we make sure we get back to ourselves alive no matter how "bloodied" (your blood in the concert, your back to yourself alive in Neil's hug) we keep being strong, solid, smart, thought-filled, powerful, confident, brave women and we raise men and women who will make friends , who will be enticed by our childrens' grace and certainty -- and they will 'pick up the mantle of honoring life; and things will change. We won't see it. But revolution is not for us to see the end result of; revolution is for us to push forward so each generation picks up farther along. When things look horrid and people push fear loudly, it is always because we are winning. Keep winning.

Anonymous said...

Oh, AND -- I was driving my Mustang down Mass Ave in Arlington, MA, my radio BLARING, the top down, loving everything. The DJ said the Rolling Stones had a new song and I pumped that radio up. It was Brown Sugar. Not half way through it, I sobbed. I never bought a Rolling Stone album in my life. I refused to appreciate the quailty of their musical talent. They were mysogynists to me. I was, what, 18? I didn't know the word, but I knew what it was. That shit will throw you off balance time after time after time; but, it means your listening...

Anonymous said...

I lied in the poll, I always do :O)

Anonymous said...

Yet again! I love reading this one, you felt so many things and you wrote them in such emotive ways. Here is my insistent speil about crying:

It is of the masculine ilk to define crying in any way that is derogatory. What is crying's weakness? For people who cry it is a physical connection between emotions and body, that's what it is; it means your body had a strong visceral reaction to what your mind was knowing -- /mind/heart/body -- how powerful of you that they were all connected. It happens more to women because we are more connected (most men usually only feel those three connect at great emotional upheavel -- birth, death, etc) that is their loss NOT our weakness. My favorite "quick to access" poem is by Marge Piercy, here is the complete poem -- tell it to yourself when you cry:

A strong woman is a women who laughs strongly
and cries strongly,
who is strongly terrified,
and has strong needs.

I love you.

Zoe said...

My auntie, you are always....my auntie always. Thanks for understanding so deeply. I love you.

Zoe said...

My musician friend, Peter Adams, explained about the plexiglass:

Plexiglass is sometimes used on stage to prevent "bleed" into microphones. Usually you see it around a drum kit to prevent the sound of the drums from getting into all the other mics on stage. So it's a little weird that it's around the singers. My guess is that they are trying to keep the sound of the other instruments out of the singer's mics. (Maybe they sing really softly so the sound guy is having to really crank the level. .. Maybe causing feedback or other problems. ) The plexiglass just gives the sound guys more control. ...But it looks stupid! And no musicians like it.

AmadoDRN said...

Zoe, as one who has tried to "fix" a controlling, manipulative, verbally abusive mate; your post, and Sally's comments, really touched me. I honestly believed with enough love, support, trust, etc. that I could fix my f'd up man. Enough love can fix anything, right? Wrong, simply not true. My sister told me once that you don't really know a person 'til you break up with them. Unfortunately, I've found truth in that this time around and am even more disgusted at my choice to persist "fixing" as long as I did. I feel changed by the experience and that I will never lay myself (or my children) vulnerable to loving a man again. I thrive being alone and my experience has not shown me many men like your wonderful Neil out there. Reading about narcissistic personality has helped me depersonalize and deal with some of J's behaviors and I have become convinced that we seem to have an entire (almost, the Stoddards seem to have lovingly developed healthy men) generation of narcissistic men (women too, but seems more prominent in men from my perspective). My councilor described the root of narcisscism being two-fold: early (pre-age 5) feelings of abandonment, or unrealistic overwhelming praise or criticism during that developmental phase. I worry that these factors are much too prevelant in today's society to grow healthy men. I give up! I'll stick to loving and nurturing myself, my children, my family, and friends. The other thing my councilor described about narcissism is that it is not "fixable," and no amount of love I could have given would have made a damn bit of difference. This made me feel better about myself, abandoning a second marriage. I tried SO hard, but it wasn't about me, it never was.
I agree; down with crappy cake! Not my idea of fun! LOL
Love you lots! I feel lucky to have people who get me and you're one of 'em! xox, D.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narcissistic_personality_disorder

Anonymous said...

Donna, Hey sweetie, sometimes the things I hear/read women say of themselves doesn't work for me without comment -- hope you don't mind. "Disgusted at my choice to persist." No, no, no how valiant to keep trying, to keep hoping even when there was less and less in it for you. We stay too long with men who don't deserve us in the hope that they will grow into better men. I don't think men grow into better men very often without the help of a woman. Children learn more about what to never accept than they do about modelling him. If you get disgusted at yourself, if you regret the time with him then you will miss loving and appreciating all the things about you that you had to address, had to learn from, had to love because of the challenge. Don't be disgusted in yourself, honor yourself. Being disgusted also has the backlash of giving him even more of yourself to feel badly about. And lastly, "I thrive being alone;" we define being without a specific male mate as being alone. You are not alone, those beautiful children to grow strong and healthy, your sisters and aunts and uncles who love you, your parents, your friends. I have always loved more, and gotten more from them than from any man I have ever tied my life to; they are always there for sustinence -- and more. Enjoy all the love that is real love in your life and you will seldom miss the pseudo love that you tried to make real. Love you

Marathoning--A Record of My Times

  • NEW HAMPSHIRE MARATHON, October 3, 2015. 4 hrs. 56 minutes, 8 seconds.
  • MONTREAL "ROCK 'N' ROLL MARATHON, September 22, 2013. 4 hrs. 20 minutes, 41 seconds.
  • VERMONT CITY MARATHON, May 2012. 4 hrs. 20 minutes, 8 seconds.
  • MOUNT DESERT ISLAND MARATHON (Maine), October 2011, 4 hrs. 45 minutes, 14 seconds
  • SUGARLOAF MARATHON (Maine), May 2010. 4 hrs. 18 minutes, 35 seconds
  • MONTREAL MARATHON, September 2008. 4 hrs. 19 minutes, 33 seconds
  • VERMONT CITY MARATHON, May 2008. 4 hrs. 11 minutes, 58 seconds
  • VERMONT CITY MARATHON, May 2007. 4 hrs. 19 minutes, 42 seconds
  • MONTREAL MARATHON, September 2006. 4hrs, 30 minutes, 2 seconds

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed